Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions

To: k9yc@arrl.net, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:32:20 -0500 (CDT)
The feed impedance on my 160M 1/2 wave wire is about 38 ohms as I recall.
 The currents in each side of the feedline are equal to about 8% or
better.  I'd consider the system to be therefore reasonably balanced.
And I surely could not consider this impedance as "high impedance".  At
the same time the feed currents again are equal, but for 80M operation
with this antenna the currents are only about one tenth of the value for
the same power on 160M.  In this case the impedance is quite high.

Now there may be some installations where circumstances do not permit
good installation in terms of optimum balance.  I think all need to
understand, just as you said, a balanced feedline does not make
automatically a balanced antenna system.

At the same time, I've never been satisfied with the approach of
connecting a piece of coax direct to the center of two equal lenghts of
wire in dipole fashion.  Looks like this approach is connecting an
unbalanced feed to a reasonably appearing balanced antenna.  Hence the
ultimate need for a choke type balun.

73
Bob, K4TAX