Re: [TenTec] New or Used Decision; Omni VII

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New or Used Decision; Omni VII
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:50:07 -0500
Speaking of Mr. Van Winkle... I know Mr. Julian Van Winkle, III. He produces a nice 10% wheated bourbon which goes down smoothly whilst working DX or those late night nets in the shack. The 107 proof ten year old is the bargain of the lot.

But seriously, folks, I am betting with Rick on this one. In fact I go further and bet TT produces a replacement or substantial update to the Orion II before junking the Omni VII, AND before replacing the Jupiter.

The Omni VII works well, and has required darn few firmware updates. It has a several secondary features, such as a receive-only antenna jack, and more robust I/O options, front panel buttons, etc., and STILL competes well on nearly every specification. While it is not the highest rated rig on Sherwood's 3d-Order-Dynamic-Range-Narrow-Spaced List, if you dare to read the REST of the STORY and compare the OTHER specifications listed on the Sherwood list, I think it still compares well against the competition. I don't figure we lost any contests because we had a pair of Omni VIIs in the shack. While that ONE specification MIGHT make a difference occasionally, on a VERY FEW contacts, I doubt it cost us any awards.

In fact, I am betting TT won't replace the Jupiter at all. The Eagle is a simpler, straightforward rig with basic functionality, and SUPER PERFORMANCE, with a mid-market price tag. I could see TT conceding the inexpensive, entry level market altogether. It would be difficult for TT to produce a better entry level rig for less than the big boys can, considering overseas labor, current market share, economies of scale, and all that jazz.

TT HAS managed to produce a short line of high performance radios, at a fairly competitive prices. Niche radios for a niche market. Their radios might cost a bit more, but you get a US made rig, with US based and very ACCESSIBLE service after the sale. I think I paid extra for that, and am pleased with my purchase. I would not be surprised if TT simply entered the market at the the mid- to high- performance/cost level, being content to just hold its own until the economy improves. After all, who has money to spend these days? Who will have money to spend next year? What can it make that guys can afford?

Thus, I would not be surprised if TT simply considers the Eagle and the Omni VII as ITS entry level radios, each appealing to a slightly different ham, and focusing their attention on a replacement for the Orion II, which could keep them in the running for top dog.

        Confidentially, I would not be surprised if TT came out
        with an SDR . . .

That is just MY take.