[TenTec] New or Used Decision: Omni VII

To: "TenTec@contesting.com" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New or Used Decision: Omni VII
From: Roger Rippy <svtincup@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:32:50 -0800 (PST)
This is a short email to say that I both enjoyed and got a lot out
of all the posts and private emails on my question regarding
whether to buy a new or used Omni VII. The thread took off
in a different direction to discussing what TT might do in terms
of future radios and replacing the Jupiter or Omni 7. It would
be more than interesting to learn their plans at TT, but it probably
would not change anything. From Rick I also gained a new
appreciation for my Omni 6's performance; it has been the best rig that I have
owned, and I bought it from another ham. From my perspective, I don't
think of an Omni 7 (read $3K) as an entry level rig; mind was
a Century 21 a few decades ago for a lot less than any Omni 7
even in 1970 dollars. I think that I would be really content to
keep the Omni 6 for my type of operating indefinitely if TT
will continue to service it. But that probably is not going to be the
case and therefore my reason for the original question. I have never
operated an Omni 7, but bet I would find it a keeper. I agree with the
comment that an Eagle or K3 may not appeal to many as a home or
 base rig; I like the face plate, knobs, and ergonomics of a larger rig
and the Omni fits well. At any rate, I enjoyed the thread and comments,
even Rick's Van Winkle bourbon story. Hi Hi..  73s  W7RIP