Re: [TenTec] A/B rig testing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A/B rig testing
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:34:35 -0800
On 1/29/2013 9:46 AM, Paul DeWitte wrote:
I just hooked the same coax to each rig, so it was a few seconds between each one. He was not always solid copy on the Omni VII, but was Q5 on the Corsair II.

Several thoughts.

First, I've spent a LOT of time trying to evaluate the differences between antennas that are predicted by NEC models to have definite, but small (3-6 dB) differences in their directivity. My station is set up so that I can switch instantaneously back and forth, but even with that ability, signal fading often overwhelms the differences in the antennas. The same thing could be affecting your evaluations. 160M has a LOT of QSB, the peaks can be strong, the dips can be deep, and can coincide with the switching. I've seen exactly this effect watching reverse beacons using JT65 on 160M to the east coast from California, and switching between two antennas on alternate transmissions. If one antenna coincides with the timing of QSB peaks it looks better, but a difference in that timing can make the other one look better.

Second, the setup of the radio can have a very strong effect on our ability to copy a signal. Is the preamp on? Is anything getting overloaded? What roofing filters? What IF bandwidth? What audio filtering?

To do tests like what you want to accomplish, a switching system is required that simultaneously switches the antenna from one rig to another t the same time that headphones are also switched. And this sort of test MUST be done with headphones -- differences in how speakers in radios interact with the acoustic environment in the room, whether those speakers are partly blocked by equipment stacked on top, etc. can affect how well we copy a signal.

73, Jim K9YC