Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner for the Orion II
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 18:33:23 -0500
I have the internal tuner on my Omni VII... and if it is any clue as to how it works on the Orion II, then you should be happy with it for the task you describe.

It is rated at managing a 10:1 mismatch, and although I have not measured it, in my subjective observations (i.e., my gut feeling,) it works more like 8:1 compared to my three external matchboxes.

Still, it does a good job and should handle the task you describe, although I have seen some antennas range from 2:1 SWR at one end of a band to as high as 15:1 on the other end, and that would overtax its capabilities. But, if you were looking to clean up, say, 2:1 at one end of the band, and 6:1 at the other end, it should work slick.

Except for 160m, it can usually tame my 43 foot monopole, which is not resonant on any band, and ranges upwards from 2:1 to 8:1 SWR. It tames my OCF dipole with ease.

That is my take, anyway.