Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:34:28 -0800
On 2/17/2013 5:54 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I'll take an air-wound inductor over a toroidal inductor any day, space available. The typical loss in an air-wound inductor is IR loss where a toroidal has IR loss plus eddy current loss.

That may be too broad a generalization. While I haven't crunched the numbers for specific designs, I recently completed VNWA measurements of all the bandpass filter boxes I could get my hands on for multi-transmitter HF stations. Some use air-wound inductors, some do not. The filters having the lowest loss and the best performance are the W3NQN designs, both those sold by Array Solutions buit by W3NQN, and those implemented by Bob, 5B4AGN, in his TXBPF kits. Those designs use two different mixes of powdered iron cores for the lower bands, and non-magnetic toroidal cores (essentially a PVC coil form) for 15 and 10M. The W3NQN designs also vary the wire size from one band to another.

My report, which includes photos of the filter sets and lots of measured data, is at

http://http://audiosystemsgroup.com/BandpassFilterSurvey.pdf

73, Jim K9YC