Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:43:07 -1000
Hi Bob,

Are you using the Johnson Matchbox to go from unbalanced (coax) line to balanced, and then your balanced L net between the feedline and the Johnson? I suspect not, but then what are you using to go from unbalanced to balanced? A toroidal transformer, or some sort of coiled up coax balun?

N6KB
I'll take an air-wound inductor over a toroidal inductor any day, space available. The typical loss in an air-wound inductor is IR loss where a toroidal has IR loss plus eddy current loss.

I know one thing, my Johnson Matchbox sure does a slick job of handling the open wire, balanced antennas. My most recent tuner is home brew, being a balanced L network much like the Palstar evaluated in March 2013 QST. It will easily put the 40M dipole on 160M and handle legal limit power to boot.

73
Bob, K4TAX