Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:41:37 -0500 (CDT)
What ever happened to using the old fashion Millen Grid Dip Meter or the
Heathkit Tunner Dipper to find resonance?  I can also use my MFJ 259
antenna bridge with a 2 turn loop on the input to find the resonant
frequency.  These do exactly what is needed and thus find the resonant
frequency of a circuit or antenna.  Then I use the MFJ or Autec bridge to
adjust the network for 50 ohms thus matching the Z of the resonant
antenna which is more likely not 50 ohms.  From there regardless of
length, the 50 ohm feed line is happy as well as the transmitter or
amplifier feeding the feed line.

All too many times do we hear of hams trimming the antenna for lowest
SWR.  That simply says they are adjusting the length away from resonance
to create some reactive component either +j or -j by increasing or
decreasing the length to make it look like 50 ohms.  Even after doing so,
they do not have a resonant antenna but they do have a resonant load
which may or may not radiate well.

73
Bob, K4TAX