Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 11:34:27 +0200
James,

Ask you local Elmer to explain what he meant when he said the analyzer
doesn't really tell us impedance.
Perhaps there is a word missing in that sentence.

Like Jim told us yesterday, the analyzer is showing us the impedance of the
antenna *plus* feedline.
You can measure the impedance in the shack, and you can measure the feedline
alone without the antenna (or just use its known characteristics with TLW)
and mathematically calculate the true impedance of the antenna.  I think
there are even analyzers that enable you to plug in the characteristics of
the feedline and it adjusts its result to compensate for this, but I don't
own one of those.
(shore would make life easier!)

73
Rick, DJ0IP