Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:22:59 -0400
Rick wrote:

I had so much trouble burning up baluns back in the 80s that I have switched to using only Teflon insulated wire for my chokes and baluns.

Baluns don't normally burn up because the insulation isn't adequate. Rather, they burn up because the common-mode current is higher than the core size and mix can tolerate (or, much less frequently, because the wire used is too small). Overheating is a symptom of too small a core, the wrong ferrite mix for the frequency(ies), too few turns, and/or too small a wire gauge. There is lots of information on the web. When in doubt, use a bigger core (after making sure you are using the right ferrite mix for the frequency, sufficiently heavy wire to handle the power, and enough turns to get the common-mode impedance that you need).

Best regards,

Charles