Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:42:18 +0100
If you wind a 4:1 Guanella balun as two identical 1:1 chokes on a common core, you force the CM voltages across the two chokes to be the same because they share the same flux. If we call the input voltage V, the balun then drives the output terminals to +3V/2 and -V/2 with respect to ground. If you had a perfectly balanced load that would force 3 times the current into one leg compared to the other. Analysis here:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/4%20to%201%20current%20balun.png

and here's the experimental demonstration on a 'scope using a perfectly balanced 200 Ohm load:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/bal1.jpg
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/bal2.jpg

Because of Sevick's pre-occupation with differential-mode performance he never spotted that effect. In fact he made lots of DM measurements - DM impedance, phase delays etc - but with a *floating* load; andas we all know, if you have a floating load you don't need a balun to maintain current balance :)

The simple fact is that a 4:1 Guanella balun wound as two 1:1 chokes on a common core will force voltage and current *imbalance* with any non-floating load; I don't call that "working" !

For a 4:1 Guanella balun to "work" properly and drive equal currents into any load, the CM voltages of the two chokes must be able to take up different values; they can't do that if they share the same magnetic circuit.

73,
Steve G3TXQ