Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:01:19 +0200
EXCELLENT!  Pretty convincing, Steve.

That explains the results I've seen on one of my recent antenna projects.
I have been trying to build an Ultra-Light OCFD for SOTA and have the
antenna doing what I want it to do, but with too much CMC.
This is not the same antenna you saw on my booth at the ham fest in Lincoln
last year, it is a different one.

I began by building it using a 2-core Guanella (my standard balun I normally
use), got the antenna working like I wanted, and then focused on reducing
weight as much as possible. I replaced the 2-core with a 1-core balun, which
cut the weight and wind load significantly. I have tried the 1-Core Guanella
and the New Improved Balun by N7ZWY
(http://home.earthlink.net/~christrask/Trask4to1Balun.pdf ) .
Neither has brought the results I'm looking for.
I think you just nailed it.  Thanks.
Unfortunately you've led me to believe what I want to do, simply can't be
done.

While we are on this subject, Jim made a comment about not using twisted
pair in chokes, but it's ok in power transformers.
Is twisted pair an absolute No No, or only slightly worse?  Jim? Steve?
Anybody?

73
Rick, DJ0IP