[TenTec] Orion 2 noise on some bands

To: 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 2 noise on some bands
From: K3GHH <k3ghh@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 20:26:09 -0400
I'm encountering problems on wavelengths <30m. Operation seems normal on 160-30m. A few days ago I had no (well, maybe 4w) transmitter output on 20m, intermittent output on 17/15/12/10m, and main-tuning encoder clicking (with each step) on all bands above 10 MHz. I applied Deoxit to the pins of all circuit boards (and out/in 10 times) and their cables, and the A&B front panel cables, and that seemed to do the job. I once again have full power on all bands.

But I also have S9+40 noise (if I'm using the S-meter correctly) on 20m and higher (frequency) bands. No signals can be heard under that. (With RF Gain = 100, "signal level" is about S=0.5 when 160-30 are selected; it jumps to +40 to +50 when 20m is chosen and drops to +30-+40 on 17-10m.)

As a test, I fired up the old Icom 706IIG and immediately worked a strong VP5 on 14.005 MHz. I put the antenna back on the Orion and heard the VP5 briefly, but then the noise returned and now nothing is audible on 20m.

Any suggestions? Wish I hadn't put all of those cabinet screws back in!

--
--- John, K3GHH