Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 noise on some bands

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 noise on some bands
From: K3GHH <k3ghh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 22:29:15 -0400
Thanks, Cecil. It occurred to me today to try the sub-receiver; it works fine --- had a few QSOs using it on 20m CW. Turning back to the Main receiver, after again removing the A3 board and Deoxit'ing its terminals and cables, full main-receiver capability on all bands is restored. Success, I'd say!

But... the problem of encoder noise on 20-10m remains. I Deoxit'd the white connectors on the main and sub receiver frequency-tuning encoders, on the rear of the front panel, but didn't really expect that to help, and it didn't. I get no encoder noise on the sub-receiver, but I get it on Main whether using VFO A or VFO B. I also get encoder clicking in the main receiver from the PBT/BW, Cut, and RIT/XIT controls.

It's unlikely that I'm the only one who has these clicking encoders. Wonder how others have solved the problem.

--John K3GHH