Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"

To: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor "TX IMD"
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:50:23 -0500
Rick,

97.307 doesn't specify which order IMD or what testing method; paragraph (d)
just says "spurious emissions" must be at least 43 dB below fundamental (2003
on, pre-1978 products are exempt.) I interpret this to be a "catch-all"
covering IMD, harmonics, and all other forms of undesirable by-products in
the signal, under any operating conditions.  However, the "kicker" for me is
in paragraph (c):

 (c) All spurious emissions from a station transmitter must be reduced to the
   greatest extent practicable. If any spurious emission, including chassis or
   power line radiation, causes harmful interference to the reception of
   another radio station, the licensee of the interfering amateur station is
   required to take steps to eliminate the interference, in accordance with
   good engineering practice.

especially the "If _any_ [emphasis added] spurious emission... causes harmful
interference to the reception of another radio station" part. That to me says
that the radios you refer to are in violation of the "spirit" if not the
letter of the law, although (wrongly in the case of the radios we are
discussing IMHO) the FCC puts the responsibility for correcting the issue on
the licensee instead of the equipment manufacturer.

Here's a link to 97.307 on W8JI's web site if you want to read it for
yourself:
http://www.w8ji.com/fcc_97_307.htm

73, Al