Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, jrichards@k8jhr.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Speech Processor
From: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 01:00:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Maybe this will help to understand a little bit about processing:

First of all, the normalize function brings the highest peak of the audio up to
the maximum level specified by the user. So if you normalize to 99% then the
highest peak will be at 99% and everything else will be at the same relative
level as it was before the normalizing. Running the normalize function again at
99% will make no difference. Normalization has nothing to do with the average
value, although of course the average value does increase, if the normalization
process increases the peak value to the 99% in my example. If the peak value is
100% originally and you set the value at 99%, then everything will be reduced
so the peak is at 99%. The normalization process does not address the "average"
at all, the average just changes as a result of where it puts the peak.

If prior to the normalization you have one peak at 95% and the rest of the
audio at about 20%, then normalizing to 99% will increase the peak to 99% and
the rest of the audio to 24%.

A compressor does not fold energy from outside the frequency spectrum. It has
nothing to do with frequency whatsoever. There are some compressors that are
"split band" that compress at different rates for different portions of the
frequency bands but nothing ever gets folded from one part of the frequency
spectrum to another. The compressor works only on amplitude.

Now, in my 40+ years of working with audio processors in broadcasting, I can
say that every modern radio station uses multiple audio processors on the
audio. All of these compress to some extent, although they have different names
such as "volume leveler", "limiter", etc. Now that we have DSP, these different
audio processors are incorporated into one physical box.

You certainly can, and should, compress the signal multiple times for maximum
punch and maximum sound quality. Each compressor is designed to distort the
signal in different ways so it will sound better and overcome various
limitations of band and equipment. A recording studio may have dozens of
compressors, some hardware, some software, and frequently used in series,
depending on what they're trying to do.

If you look at the controls on a recording or broadcast compressor they all
have settings for attack time, release time, and input gain. Some have other
controls such as where the "knee" is, makeup gain, and so on.  The knee is, to
oversimplify, the volume point at which the compressor starts compressing. This
may be a hard knee where it starts compressing heavily at a certain point, or a
soft knee where the amount of gain reduction increases gradually with
increasing volume.

In the old days of the 40's and 30's the compressor consisted of a bored
engineer with his hand on a volume control. However this function became
enhanced with processing designed to bring up low levels by reducing the gain
of high level signals. These functions call for a slow attack and release time.
A sharp peak on a voice or snare drum would still be missed by the device and
overdrive the transmitter, so limiters were introduced which cut off the
maximum peak at the 100% point or thereabouts. However you don't want to do
this a lot because it will sound terrible so in between the two you have a
compressor with a relatively fast attack and some middle release time so the
limiter is rarely invoked.

In some cases we add an expand function to undo some of the compression.  For
instance, you can take the compressed audio and expand ("uncompress") from, say
-15 to -25 dB if you want. Then we can set up another compressor that avoids
compressing the lowest level sounds so room noises and fans aren't brought up
to voice level. We can also have the compressor only look at part of the audio
frequency spectrum, so bass notes don't cause compression to increase over the
entire frequency spectrum.
My point is that all compressors have a lot of parameters and after one
compressor has its way with your voice, another may do additional processing to
accomplish something else. No one set of parameters will do an optimum job of
keeping the average level up while sounding natural. You can run audio through
four compressors and still have a natural sounding voice, but it will cut
through better. Setting up compressors takes both knowledge and trial and error
and is very controversial as this thread indicates.

An analogy might be in Photoshop type processing. You have brightness and
contrast, as you only have so much dynamic range in a photo that the display or
printer can handle. But you also have saturation, gamma, thresholds, and many
other things, all of which interact. As with sound, there is no one setting
that will bring out what the myriad of settings will.

Is any of this necessary? No, but the technology is there if you want it.

Hope this helps.

-Pete
WB2QLL
Somers WI