Re: [TenTec] Opinions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 20:35:06 -0400

On 7/5/2013 5:42 PM, PC Anderson wrote:

ends, everyone has one. There have been many opinions here on these pages since the bad news.

        Geeze, Andy,  why is it such bad news?

I embarked on a dream. An all American and an all TenTec station.

I now have an Orion llAT, all filters ... 963 ...
709 mic... 302 keypad.... Centurion Amp, 238B tuner.
My pride is a TT526, aka 6n2.

        Wow... but your dream has already come true!
        How is your station compromised because they
        cannot make more O IIs?

        Your Orion II did not lose value, or stop
        working or diminished in any way because
        TT ceased production of new units.  In fact,
        it just MIGHT increase in value because it
        has just become more RARE and hard to get.

        I have an old GUILD guitar I purchased for
        around $250 back in the late 1970s.  Still
        in good condition, it was just appraised for
        close to $1400.  They quit making this model
        thirty years ago, but I don't feel slighted
        by that in any way.

        So, maybe your rig will increase in value
        as time marches on.   Why be sad... this
        might be the best investment you ever made!

This gem took me to a first place in EPA section Jan 2012, single band single op class. Not bad for a rig that TenTen also dropped.

        Why despair... nearly all contests won in
        the past were won on radios that are no
        longer made.  Your radio still works as
        well as it ever did.  Besides, if there
        are fewer of them out there, you will
        have a competitive edge.  I would not
        mind buying the last Ferrari ever made...

This is the only equipment I own.

        I also have an all-TenTec station  (OK...I
        also have a radio made by another company)
        but I won't feel cheated or slighted if TT
        ceases production of any of my radios... in
        fact they dropped the Jupiter and I have one.

        It works just as well now as it did while
        the model was still in production - and so
        will your radio.

        My first "novice" station includes:

        Omni VII,  Jupiter,  Centurion,  238C tuner,
        Model 1254 receiver kit,   Model 1253 kit,
        Model 1225 SWR meter kit,  RX-320D,  Model 715
        processor,  Model 777 headset (although I sold
        it to one of the guys on the list),  963 Power
        Supply,  some TT adapters, etc.  There is not
        much more I could buy, other than the Eagle,
        or the microphone equalizer, maybe.

        It has been a good ride, too, I am luck to
        have started out with some really good stuff,
        and I have always been confident and proud
        to describe my station equipment to other
        guys.

        I will still feel that way after they cease
        production of the various models I own.

Will continue to check into the net on Sundays with my obsolete Oll.

        You are kidding, right?

        Why is the rig "obsolete" - it still works
        as well as it always did, and should gain
        value over time.