Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 07:54:45 +0200
No sir!  As a kid, I worked lots of stations on a light bulb.
Keep in mind that our radios had Pi networks back then.
I would be very reluctant to try that now with a newer radio.

Also, don't think a matchbox will help.
Usually when you hit tune on the rig, its matchbox tunes at low power.
The light bulb's impedance will vary with brightness, so matching at low
power is guaranteed to give you a bad match at high power.

If you want to do it, run your rig at about 3 watts, into you amplifier and
then into the lightbulb.
Tune the amp for maximum brightness.
Then increasing the rig's power about one watt at a time, gradually increase
the output power.

Note: this only works on amplifiers with glass bottle tubes.  The others all
have fault protection circuitry and I'm sure it will be blowing all the
time.

73
Rick, DJ0IP