Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:26:40 +0200
Mike,

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to explain to you in a single
email why the 1:1 balun is better.
However I can show you how to learn about this in a systematic way, using
material from 4 of the experts in this field.
It will probably take you about 10 hours to do this, but then you will know.
(otherwise, just take our word for it.)

This is a 4 part training course:

PART-1:  View GM3SEK's online presentation on common mode current problems,
especially the first half of it.  View all of it but at this point, you only
need to understand what all can be causing us problems.  Ian's presentation
is a good introduction to that. See: http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/
(Note: it is a challenge just to bring the file up.  You have to right click
Ian's link and save the link to your computer.  Then double-click the link
on your computer and it brings the PowerPoint file up.)

PART-2:  Read W7EL's excellent paper on "Baluns: What They Do and How They
Do It".  These 8 pages will give you a good understanding of Baluns (which
Jim rightly called Chokes), and begin to answer your question.  See:
http://www.eznec.com/Amateur/Articles/Baluns.pdf

PART-3:  View G3TXQ's excellent page on "Tuner Balun Ratios":
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/tuner_balun/

PART-4:  Now that you have a fairly good understanding of all of this, Read
K9YC's paper, "RFI-Ham".  Although this is the most comprehensive paper, I
don't recommend beginning with this one.  This is like the graduate course.
It is 66 pages long, but it has everything in it.  See:
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

If you haven't a clue about all of this and view these resources in this
order, you will probably understand most of what Jim wrote, though if you're
like me, you'll have to read it two or three times.

SHORTCUT for your question, MIKE:  Go straight to PART-3.

However I recommend anyone asking this type of question, take the time to
work through all of this.  It will be very beneficial.

73
Rick, DJ0IP