Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OCF antennas evolution
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:56:22 -0500 (CDT)
Likewise, as stated earler, baluns are rated power for matched
conditions.  Add a complex Xc or Xl plus R load and they aren't matched.
I prefer a 1:1 current balun rated for at least 10 times the expected
power.  They produce less heat and smoke that way.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> Because:
>
> a) It's a voltage balun and therefore will drive *unequal* currents into
> anything except a perfectly balanced load. A voltage balun has *zero*
> common-mode impedance.
>
> b) Its a 4:1 balun; so, used with a doublet/ladderline combination, it
> will typically cause higher tuner losses for a large range of feeder
> lengths than would a 4:1. See:
> http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/tuner_balun/
>
> I use a good 1:1 current balun external to my 238 tuner with my
> doublet/ladderline system.
>
> Steve G3TXQ
>

> On 11/07/2013 21:20, Mike Bryce wrote:
>> Why not use the internal balun in the 238?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jul 11, 2013, at 3:00 PM, "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
>> wrote:

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.