Re: [TenTec] Transmit not stopping when PTT is released

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Transmit not stopping when PTT is released
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:28:24 -0600
In most cases with a non-QSK amp some form of delay system should be employed. This system provides a delay at initiation of transmit such that amp relays close and settle before RF is applied. Then at the end, a delay to hold the relays closed until the completion of the last character. At end when the CW key is released the character must still be sent. If the radio is using the CW key for control of the TX/RX control then likely the amp could un-key before completion of the RF envelope. Thus hot switching may occur.

I don't recall the timing sequence of the Orion II.

With the Tentec QSK circuit the key is closed and this sends the signal to the amp to switch from RX to TX mode. After the amp has switched it then sends a signal back to the transceiver to deliver the RF. At the end of the transmission, the RF sensing circuit in the Centurion and Titan keep the relays in the amp engaged until the end of the RF envelope before the relays are allow to switch from TX back to RX.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>