Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:34:51 +0100
And even the oscillations are often caused by grounding issues!

If the regulator's ground connection is not VERY short and identical with
the ground of the electrolytic capacitors, oscillation can occur, especially
with varying loads such as SSB transmission - but these are usually
oscillations at VHF frequencies, which normally should not cause disturbance
to the HF receiver.  And as Jim says, that was poor design.

I don't see how a well designed linear power supply that is working properly
can cause any disturbance to an hf receiver except for AC hum.

Have I missed something.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)