Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:50:52 -0800
Never left AM -- that's Don, K4KYV's line and I suppose mine too except like
many I left ham radio for decades. I use my OMNI VII as RF drive for my 300 W
home brew class E now and often listen on the OMNI VII for AM. Too bad it
doesn't have sync detection

I somehow missed the AM/SSB wars even though I was active when they got going.
Maybe way out West there just weren't enough of us to be of much concern to one
another. So I was on AM and CW and thought SSB some new fangled thing. Turns
out it wasn't unless you consider something from 1915 new.

Damn it worked well. People were running exciters without linears and getting
heard on 20 - 30 W of SSB when I wasn't getting through with 130W of AM, input
of course. That's how we measured it. Viking II, HRO 50T.

I haven't really tried the OMNI VII as an AM transmitter since I have others --
class E, class D, Johnson, etc. I wonder if anyone on this reflector has.

Jon

PS: Your crystals have been a big help with the old gear.