Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmit with Ten Tec rigs
From: bob barnes <k0wtz@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:14:37 -0800 (PST)
well i have a pair of 4-1000s there really is not that much involved i did not
run mine of am i have seen amps ran that way. my pair of 4-1000 probably weighs
in around 300lb but i dont have a modulation transformer or a choke in mine.
mine will run on a circuit of 30a i have never seen the lights dim with it but
i have 5 huge capacitors on the bottom with the plate transformer.  it runs
about 6500v on the plates.  i use a piece of copper pipe tied to a broom stick
handle to drain the caps when i want to work on it.

whatever output i ran i always got fine reports.  primarely on 75 mtrs as on
the other bands its just too much.  it is an entertaining amp let me say that
and it is so fun to watch those plates on the 4-1000 get cherry red but never
burn up.

bob k0wtz

all things are possible in Christ Jesus our savior