Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:21:12 -0500
A FLEX-1500 or a FLEX-1000 if you can find one should work just fine as a station monitor. It will allow one to "see the band" and allow one to observe their signal within limits of the sweep range.

Personally, I went a different direction and purchased a RIGOL DSA815-TG. Now this cost a good bit more, less than $1500 delivered, but does a LOT MORE in terms of being a piece of test equipment thus allowing one not only to "see" their signal but make other analysis of their signal. It has a tracking generator or signal generator that is quite nice for other work as well. This product was reviewed in QST some months ago. Performance wise and feature wise it compares favorably to my $30K HP Spectrum Analyzer, except the DSA815-TG weighs 9 lbs and the HP some 45 lbs. and it is about 1/8the the size of the HP.

Other than this, the SB-610 in good clean and working condition is worth abut $250 or so. I have two of those, one dedicated for the AM station and one for the station at the house.

In any event, understanding how to use and analyze the data presented from any piece of test equipment or station equipment is the advanced key to success.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "K8JHR" <jrichards@k8jhr.com>