Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:36:51 -0400

On 4/24/2014 1:39 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

Jim, I agree.  Advertising dollars is the reason.

I am not entirely convinced by the ad dollar argument. I doubt Yaesu would pull all its ads because QST magazine says something silly or reports a poor reciprocal mixing dynamic range figure. Most guys don't even know what that is. Witness the discussion on the FTdx3000 forum when the ARRL and Sherwood mentioned it. Believe me... they will buy the rig, and enjoy it, and have no clue what that is all about, no matter what the Rob and the ARRL Lab say. Seems like Sherwood gave the Omni VII some bad numbers, but non one mentions them here... ;-)

Besides, where else would they advertise? QST can simply report the numbers without much textual comment, and let the ham community work it out by the numbers. I doubt Yaesu or Icom will pull all their ads because the ARRL lab says the rig has -2 dBm in stead of -35 dBm on some spec or other. Consider all the flap over the FTdx3000 reciprocal mixing dynamic range as reported by ARRL and Sherwood. For a week or so, a very few owners cried foul, and there was big talk about false advertising and fraud ... but TODAY Yaesu is STILL running the SAME ads as it ran before, and selling boatloads of them. Same ads. Business as usual. No problem.