Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwood's impression of the FLEX 6x00
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:13:38 -0500
Well it can be either or both. Certainly the cleanest amp will only amplify what is provided to its input. It typically won't get any cleaner. Now take an amp that has IMD issues or one that is tuned incorrectly and the cleanest exciter / amp combination will get nasty.

The results Rob found and reported is somewhat typical of radios today. Some are worse, some are better and the IMD is likely to vary by band just as he reported.

How do we keep the radio makers from not blaming the amp.......just measure the radio as a stand-a-lone item. The numbers are the numbers.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "K8JHR" <jrichards@k8jhr.com> To: <k9yc@arrl.net>; "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:02 PM

Not an argument... but a question:    How do we know it is
the transceiver and not the amp in a given case?

Reason for asking, is I anticipate the transceiver makers
blaming the amp market for it.   Is there a way to decide, or
do we have to run each barefoot and then with an amp?  or what?

Again... not an argument... a question on how to keep the
rig makers from saying the amps are the fault.