Re: [TenTec] Merger

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Merger
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:45:04 -0500
I have been watching this thread with interest.  I used to do a lot of M&A
stuff (usually as the buyer) and there was always a reason for each deal but
the reasons could be very different.  It was not always about some kind of
instant synergy.  Many times there was a long term reason mixed in with
other deals and details.

One of the problems I see with the markets that TenTec and Alpha are in is
that there is a sort of a "diminishing returns" situation at work.  There is
definitely a market at the top for those who will pay top dollar for some
kind of incremental design/performance improvement.  In ham radio this is
not a huge market but it can definitely be exploited by good businesspeople.
The problem is that this is not a real big market and probably not one that
is growing very fast.  I don't have any statistics to back this up.  It is
just a hunch.

On the other hand it is becoming increasingly less of a problem from a cost
and design standpoint to hit the broad middle of the market with a range of
different product designs.  I think this skews most of the ham market toward
companies that can design and manufacture very cheaply.  You can interpret
this any way you want to.

In the case of TenTec/RF Concepts it looks to me like the new company will
be able to leverage the talents of existing people, probably minus 2 or 3 at
the top of TenTec, and pool some overlapping design and manufacturing people
to get some increased efficiency.  They should be able to do this in a way
that will lower their costs.

The problem with any merger of talents is that sometimes various people just
don't work out like the original thinking indicated.  The management aspects
of this pooling of talents and physical assets are very tricky.  If this is
well-handled then the ham radio world will be better off.  You just have to
try it and wait and see what happens.

This is the nature of investing time and money in anything.  You just have
to believe you can do it.  Apparently, RF Concepts and TenTec think they can
do it.  We'll have to hope they are right.

1138 Waters Edge Circle, Shreveport, LA 71106
                  --- 318-393-3289 (Cell) ---
        Computer Consulting and Forensics