Re: [TenTec] The Next Flagship

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Next Flagship
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 14:24:40 +0300
On 5/21/2014 1:34 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
In the past, Icom offered an optional power supply module that would plug
into some of its radios, such as the IC-740.
That made it a nice, self contained box for portable use.  I really liked
that option because I used it portable quite a lot.

So how about an expansion slot which would accept either the power supply or
the ATU?
And then have an expansion cabinet with the same type of slot.
This would give users a choice and enable to configure best for their own
particular preference of operation.

As Bob pointed out, the money is in the masses but I don't think any US
company can compete in the low end now and once the Chinese penetrate the
market, it will be over for sure.  The mid-range is their juiciest
alternative.

Interesting. When Ten-Tec solicited ideas for a new radio on this list, I suggested that they sell a basic 20m SSB rig for a low price. The rig would include optional features such as CW, more bands, etc. The idea being buy in cheap, expand as your needs and desires go.

I was almost hounded off this list for suggesting that hams should not be required to buy a CW rig.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
Jerusalem Israel.