Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 19:39:46 -0400
I wouldn't go that far.

I don't know about EU, but I do know that in the US at one time, someone had
to have been in busy for at least a year and be doing a minimum dollar value
of retail business before Kenwood (or ICOM or Yaesu)would consider making
their business an official dealership.

So many of the smaller dealers don't buy the gear from Kenwood directly, but
they do buy it from the larger dealers.  Technically, this could be
considered the "gray market."

How do I know this?  I once worked for a ham radio dealership in exactly
this position.  Until we became an official/authorized dealership, we bought
our equipment from the old EGE chain (now part of HRO).  Who recommended we
deal with EGE?  Kenwood.  And ICOM and Yaesu.

The factory warranties were in full force.  As far as the factory was
concerned, even though we didn't buy our gear directly from them, we were
still the point of sale for warranty purposes.  I don't know of a single
user who had a warranty problem over buying the gear from us.

Now, why did/do the larger & largest authorized distributors/dealerships do
this?  Volume.  They buy more gear this way, and get the volume discounts.
They make money selling the gear to the "gray market" small dealerships, and
they make money selling the gear to you directly.

Everyone wins.  The small stores can get inventory.  The large stores move
inventory, and get the big discounts.  If there's a minimum purchase on a
given item, more than a small store can afford, they can still get items
from the big store that won't blink at a minimum purchase.  The factory
sells product.  And:  You, the consumer, get more choices for who you want
to deal with, and can shop for the best possible deal.

So... shame on buying "outside" the dealer channel?  Hardly.  It's not quite
that simple, folks.

73, ron w3wn