Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:58:00 -0400
GREAT - I will give those a look... but so far the Eagle and 590 product review graphs look awfully close to each other, and appear to put both radios in the same category.

I examined the graphs Kim so kindly mentioned and they look so close I would put both rigs in the same category. I have asked the ARRL lab team to comment on them, although I do not expect a reply.

I put them together in a single image:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/minirichards/14771061673/

These graphs from the ARRL product reviews do not appear show the 590 produces substantially more broad band noise as claimed.

MORE EVIDENCE -- I found this table of transmitter and receiver noise values, taken from ARRL product reviews, and the 590 scores better than most on this list. From the ARRL graphs, above, I expect the Eagle to be in the same league as these top scoring rigs, but unfortunately the table does not mention the Eagle. .

See the Table here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/minirichards/14750477854/

This chart and the ARRL graphs Kim mention seem to give BOTH rigs a clean bill of health... at least better than most, and both better than some far more expensive radios.

On 7/26/2014 6:21 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Product reviews that can be downloaded from the ARRL website.

> To compare the radios, you've got to pick values off each graph and plot
them on the same graph.