Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rigs at WRTC
From: K8JHR <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 04:24:34 -0400
Thanks Rick. Man, I just don't get how to sort it all out. Here I find an article on "transmitter noise," based on ARRL data, and the author ranks the 590 above (better) than the KX3 ! So... I think ... great... that looks good.

But then another guy says, nope, it is worse, because that is not the same kind of noise.

Go figure.

I am truly at a loss to reconcile all these noise figures.

Is he talking about a different type of noise than you are? What type of noise is displayed in the ARRL product reviews? Is that the same as "phase noise," "broadband noise," and "close in noise?" I think the ARRL should define and explain those charts in plain English, along with the proper technical terms. I am not finding the ARRL Handbook much help... or I am missing it ... duh. Not that we should not use all the proper technical terms - I don't want it dummied down - but it would be nice to have a regular guy version also, otherwise Joe Ham and I don't get much out of the reviews.

        Back to school, I guess.

Thanks, again, for the leg up.