Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:43:18 -0700
On 7/27/2014 9:21 PM, Spencer wrote:
I also own a ICOM IC-7000, nice radio but too complicated.

My neighbor has one in his pickup. I tried using it and found that I had to go to menus to do simple things that were operational. I also had an FT100D. Same problem.

To me, menus are fine if you only use them for setups -- which filters are installed, is the mic plugged in the front or the back, does it need bias, stuff like that. The FT1000MP was like that, and it was a good rig to operate. Ditto for the K3 and KX3. I had an IC746 that I used on 6M and 2M when I lived in Chicago. Most of what you need to operate is on knobs and switches, but there's still a lot of stuff that requires menus, and those functions were a PITA. Likewise for a lot of VHF FM rigs.

73, Jim K9YC