Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RADIO COMPARISONS
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:02:55 -0500
*I am Not an Engineer. Never have claimed to be. Recently my friend with
newly minted General Class in hand, ask me to come over and help him setup
his station. The antenna went up just fine and all was well until the new
200 Watt radio came out of it's box. What a Nightmare!  We didn't count
them but 111 buttons and too many knobs seems correct. *
*It took me several minutes to be sure which button was the Power. We did
finally manage to get on 40 meters with the radio and at that time about 12
different people from KenComYaeFlex land, tried to tell us 40,017.562 ways
to set each control and menu item for best performance. Again I use the
word Nightmare!  And you know what folks, I don't own a Newer Ten Tec! It
is an older Paragon. As we said at the start..... I am not an Engineer.
Don't care about Plots, Graphs or Pie Charts. Here is a Fact that I can
Honestly Relay to this List. For the last 3 Field Days, my Paragon has
beaten All Comers running 3 Alpha at the local site. Most times by Triple
Digit Numbers. And it is not my operating style because the entire Club
used my radio on a Volunteer Schedule. And we are Always Relaying Stations
into the various Phone Nets that the KenComYaeBaoFeng Net Controls are
using. Having never operated a Kxxx Anything. We can't say anything good or
bad about them. Knowing that I hear Everything ((( or darn near it ))) we
have stations that routinely call for me by name to relay them into Nets.
Bob/K4TAX, sent us an Eagle to play with for a month. We Cried Big
Crocodile Tears when it was time for it to go home. So fellows, put down
your Pie Charts, Graphs and projected whizz bang print outs for a few
minutes. For test equipment, just use an Antenna Switch. Compare the TS-590
or anything else to an Eagle. And then tell me what you want on your
operating desk. As we have said before, the Eagle reminds me of the Corsair
and Corsair II on receive .. just better. Sure, we would love to have one
of the new Rice Boxes. It would make Great trading material toward a Newer
Model Ten Tec. Now that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And we call Lots
of Nets.......*
*                         73 to All Stay Safe from Wade/KJ4WS*