[TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp
From: Douglas via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 00:37:22 -0700
>From Ten-Tec and others, the original 50 volt bipolar transistors are
>unobtainium.
Also, most replacements have an Hfe that is too high. The amp will oscillate,
rapidly blowing the replacement transistors.
A while back when talking to one of the Ten-Tec techs, he said that while they
could get the amp to work on some bands with substitute transistors by
reworking the feedback networks, the fix wasn't good for all bands. That's why
the factory will no longer repair the amp.

Has anyone tried a rework with power MOSFETS?

My 444 is working perfectly and I even have a spare RF board but know that the
finals have a limited life.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT