Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 05:56:34 -0700
On 8/9/2014 12:37 AM, Douglas via TenTec wrote:
Has anyone figured out a substitute for the final transistors in the original
Hercules amp?

You might ask on the amps reflector. I suspect the answer is still no. I owned one of these amps for a few years and sold it. The original story, as I heard it, is that Motorola learned that the output transistors had problem, and discontinued them.

The power supply also has a temperature stability problem that causes Vcc to rise, which in turn causes it to go into self protect mode as it warms up. I decided to fix mine with a fan on the power supply. :)

73, Jim K9YC