Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules 444 amp
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:56:14 -0500
The issue I've observed with amps using 2 tubes in parallel, there is typically no way to determine what each tube is doing. One needs to be able to determine, at least, the individual grid currents. In doing so, one can see that the tubes are operating within their design range. The same applies for 3 tube and 4 tube amps.

As I pointed out earlier, if the recommended total grid current is 260 ma maximum, thus individually 130 ma per tube. If one tube be drawing 60 ma then the other tube is drawing 200 ma., which is well above its maximum rating. Premature failure of this tube can be expected due to excessive grid dissipation.

I did modify a SB-200 by adding a toggle switch allowing the grid current for each tube to be displayed. This took some circuit changes but being an amp that was converted for 6 meters, this pushes the limit of the 572B's and we prefer to keep them in their sockets. Otherwise, the previous owner had experienced a good amount of FLASH, BANG, POP, followed by oh crap the smoke comes out of the box.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carter" <k8vt@ameritech.net>