Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please Ten Tec!

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please Ten Tec!
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:48:37 +0200
Wade,

I quit wearing the cape; no more phone booths here.
They went away years ago.

People who have never operated in Europe simply have no perception about how
much worse condx are here on the low bands.
It has gotten better since the broadcast stations on 40m moved up and out of
our band, and they widened the band from 100 to 200 kHz.

The problem most radios have here at night is with Intermodulation
Distortion.
We have a nice name for it in German.  We call it "Wave Salad".
It is basically an S5 to S9+30 noise level across the entire band, depending
on which radio you have.
The problem is front-end overload.

The better the BDR3 is on the receiver, the lower this noise level will be.
Keep in mind that these are noises which are not really there.
They are basically phantom signals caused by the front-end of the receivers
overloading.

In general (with extremely rare exceptions), radios with upward conversion
have about 20dB worse BDR3 than radios with downward conversion.

To understand the magnitude of the problem, each dB improvement in BDR3 will
reduce the IMD by about 3dB.
So if I improve the RX front end by 20dB, it reduces the IMD by 60 dB, which
means it pretty much disappears, except for a few exceptions.

There are a couple of things you can do.
First and foremost, use an attenuator.
10dB of attenuation will reduce IMD by 30dB.
Of course if the station you wish to work is a weak DX in the Pacific and he
is only S1 or S2, switching in 10dB or more attenuation drops him into the
noise (the normal noise).

Better is a good preselector.  These typically have 6dB insertion loss but
drop IMD by 30 or 40dB.
This is the route I went prior to the Orion.
The Orion was the first radio I ever operated in Europe that did not need a
pre-selector.
I never experienced intermod on it except when operating with a 3 element
yagi on 40m and pointing the antenna N-NE.
In that case I could hear a few phantoms at about S2 or so.

In the meantime there are several radios that are this good.
The K3, several of the Flex radios, the Eagle, the TS-990, and of course the
Hilberling are all good radios needing no pre-selector.

Nearly 15 years ago I made some recordings of a Jupiter with and without the
pre-selector and sent it to Ten-Tec.
After reviewing them, Jack commented that he had always heard condx were
worse here in Europe, but never knew they were of that magnitude.  As a
result, he immediately added provision for a pre-selector to the Omni VII
design, which was still on the drawing board.

The Argonaut V was pretty much a disaster here.
The author of the QRP section of a local magazine described its receiver as
pretty much useless on 40m.
Sales here were pathetic.
Yet in the states it is a fine radio.

The Paragon with its upward conversion will have a blanket of noise (wave
salad) across the 40m band, when used with a good antenna.

The good news is, if you live in the states, you will never experience this.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)