Re: [TenTec] Eagle 9MHz tap questions.

To: n4py3@earthlink.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle 9MHz tap questions.
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:12:54 -0500
Hi Rick -- a few thoughts:

1) Why not use a FunkAmateur FiFi for the second receiver ? If you wanna try mine, I will mail it to you right away! Mine is one of the later models with a preselector - and we all know you like preselectors! ;-) Really... just ask and it will be on its way.

2) While I see value in using a panadapter on occasion, I honestly do anticipate you will like it terribly much, or suspect it will be a particularly good fit with our operating style. I am NOT picking a fight or poking fun or being critical - just saying I don't think you will be too excited about in the long run.

3) In any case, Carl's program handles it all well enough, better (I think) than using the LPB2 bridge program to broker data between applications and devices. (Cue Carl to curtsy now...)

4) I also anticipate you would prefer the 9 kHz tap over merely sharing the receiver input with a Y-adapter, because the 9 kHz tap allows the second receiver device to monitor and display what is happening at that point within the Eagle's own receiver, rather than serving as a second receiver to monitor the band in parallel with the Eagle. Heck, if that is all you wanted, you might be better off running the second receiver on its own stealthy antenna and simply coordinating the two rigs with Carl's program. Idid that with a TenTec RX-320D with good results. As a band scope, that works swell. But I suspect you would prefer to monitor the Eagle's own internal activity, not provide just a parallel receiver display for checking band conditions.

Happy days, OM.