Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resou

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resources
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 22:01:53 -0500
Well I guess I will stir up a hornets nest here on station grounding. I don't! I use to years ago, but I found out lightening will follow itself right to that grounded equipment instead of staying outside where it belongs. Bob Heil had this very discussion on Ham Nation either first of this year or sometime last year. He never grounds his station equipment, but ALWAYS ALWAYS ground your antennas & use a grounded AC outlet for the power supplies. Most of our rigs in today's world is DC. Grounded all that equipment together then running that to a separate ground rod outside has caused me more problems at my other QTH than I care to think about. Here is a web site you can read that Bob told us about station grounding. Good article!

http://www.eham.net/articles/21383

Now if you want to that is fine, but I haven't had any issues in the past 24 years with lightening coming in my shack. Now I have had to replace diodes in my electronic antenna switch, came in on Hy-Gain vertical which was grounded with a 8 foot ground rod & radials. I had to repair control box inside also, but none of that is grounded to my station equipment which I'm sure would have done some damage if all that was grounded together. Coax was not connected to rig. After lightening hitting, not a huge hit, vertical 3 times I disconnected coax at switch 3 years ago. No more hits! I live on a very high hill also! Great for ham radio, but not so when storms pop up.

I have a Anderson Power Pole distribution box that I disconnect DC in cable from & antenna is disconnected when rig is not in use. That is best lighten protection that I know of. Here in middle TN we are getting hammered with storms everyday for almost a week. Especially in my area. No ham radio except indoor antenna until these pop up storms are finally gone.

73,
Reed  W4JZ