Re: [TenTec] Corsair I refurb project

To: "TenTec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair I refurb project
From: "Bill ACITO, W1PA" <w1pa@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 10:54:09 -0400
Number 1 is fixed.  As pointed out/suggested – loose crystals.  I should have
know this from my Omni-A/D/C experience.

>>No RX 160 and 80: freq counter bounces around on  0.180 to 0.190 Mhz on these
>>bands.
>>I assume I should be looking at the wafer switches and oscillators? All other
>>bands are fine on RX.
Now on to #2:
On transmit I see no power, and no current draw.
What’s the best way to diagnose the PA module?  Voltage checks on the
transistors themselves?
Check the bias circuit? Should I just replace all four?
Has anyone successfully substituted for the MRF-458’s, and if so, what did you
use?
Do any other rigs use the same PA module (80565) that I can swap with?  the 561
Corsair II?

>>No power out on TX -- zero.  Scope says I have good output from the
>>low-level driver board, which changes with the drive control. Do the finals
>>fail open?
>>Do they both go together?
>>Any easy way to check if it's the drivers or the actual finals in the PA
>>module?
>>I also read that there was a common T/R diode fail that impacted ALC?
>>What were the symptoms of this fail?

Bill W1PA