[TenTec] Alternative Eagle Form Factor was Re: Status

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Alternative Eagle Form Factor was Re: Status
From: Darrell Bellerive VE7IU <ve7iu@runbox.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 07:57:41 -0800
I've been thinking about this idea of a bigger form factor for the Eagle, the ensuing discussion, and thought I would post my wish list. Perhaps if others join in with their wish lists, John Henry and the new owner might consider an alternative form factor for the Eagle. I am not suggesting replacing the current Eagle form factor, as many find it suitable to their needs, but an alternative, be it a new radio model or an alternate Eagle offered concurrently with the existing form factor.

I very much like the performance of my Eagle. I have always like Ten-Tec receivers, from my Argo 509, Jupiter, and now Eagle. However, I would prefer a larger form factor with more controls.

I tend to use the RF Gain to control the receiver gain, and leave the AF Gain at a higher level, so having an easy to use RF Gain control is important to me. This was absent on the Jupiter, and the Omni also makes the RF Gain a secondary function.

I prefer split to RIT, so I don't miss a RIT control, but I know for many that would be very important.

The biggest issue for me though is that FNC button. Buttons should have a single function or a second function as a push and hold, but no more than two functions. Pushing multiple buttons simultaneously or in sequence is not something I am fond of. I am constantly forgetting that the FNC button is active (the blink rate is far too slow), and then getting VOX instead of NB as an example. Pushing FNC, then a desired button, and then FNC to turn it off is too much. Making FNC only active until the next button is pressed would help, but the real solution is more buttons.

The multi control seems to idle most of the time, and I think using the main tuning control as the multi control would be better served. Yes, I suspect I might change the frequency inadvertently once in a while, but would rather see the existing multi control do something else full time.

Given the choice between the Eagle, Omni VII and the Orion II, I still prefer the Eagle controls, as the current Eagle gives me access to the AF and RF Gain controls and the BW and PBT controls without having to push a button or control. The lack of 6 metres on the Orion is also a huge factor for me.

A new Omni VIII or Orion III would have to have at least the concentric controls (AF/RF and BW/PBT) of the Eagle and 6 metres to capture my attention. Those rotary controls incorporating a pushbutton don't appeal to me at all.

So here is my wish list:

A much larger form factor, be it the size of the Omni V/VI/VII or Orion would be fine. There is no such thing as too large for me. Given a choice between the size of the current Eagle and the size of the old Collins Gold Dust Twins, I would choose the size of the Gold Dust Twins, floor mount cabinet and all. :-)

Single function controls. Separate AF and RF Gain controls, separate BW and PBT controls. The concentric knobs of the Eagle are acceptable, but separate controls would be nice. Pushing the control to switch between functions like the OMNI VII is not acceptable. A manual notch would be the only other control I would use. Perhaps a user programmable control that could be set to RIT/Notch/Keyer Speed, etc would be nice.

More pushbuttons. A maximum of two functions per button, one function on a quick press, and another for push and hold. The only exception would be direct frequency entry, where an enter button is pressed, the frequency entered, and the enter button pressed again. Absolutely no step through buttons. By this I mean the existing BAN, MOD, and FAST buttons. The combination band/frequency entry pad like the Omni VII/Orion would be great. Separate buttons for each mode and VFO step would also be great. A touch screen might be a good alternative to buttons for this. But this needs to be a one step operation; One button press to select a mode or VFO step size, not press STEP, and then select the size.

Years ago, Ten-Tec had it right with the Mic and Headphone jacks on the rear panel and SSB Normal and Reverse rather than USB/LSB selection. I would love to see that again, but I am quite sure I am in the minority on this one.

Leave out the keyer. I use Ultimatic mode and always use an external keyer. I know I am also in the minority on this one, but at least do not waste a control for a dedicated keyer speed function.

So there is my wish list for an alternative Eagle form factor, I encourage others to chime in with their wish lists, and perhaps the new owner of Ten-Tec may grant us our wishes!

My biggest wish however, is for Ten-Tec to thrive for many years to come.

73, Darrell VE7IU