Re: [TenTec] Pimp My Eagle -outdoor safety for antenna work

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pimp My Eagle -outdoor safety for antenna work
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 13:52:47 -0600
Good point Rick, but here rain equals lightning, so we QRT antenna work at that point. SAFETY first.

Recently we also set some other rules for tower work: 1. no climbing if wind is over 12 mph, (if then). (Hoisting lines whip around and foul each other in those kinds of sustained wind.)

2. No climbing on wet tower, (ours is 56 foot HBX, heavy duty model, and those x braces as "steps" are tricky in best of WX.

3. Climber has to wear the OSHA compliant harness, which has two Gorilla hooks to hook in the bungee cords for safety while moving up or down. (Our NGO partner in the club station bought the club this climbing harness for us.)

4. We confine ordinary tower work of adding or taking off an antenna to temperatures of 52 degrees or above.

5. Climbing is limited to about 2 hours duration or 3 in colder weather.
In Summer we climb earlier in the day to avoid 100 degree plus temperatures.

6. Boots or hiking shoes are used or true work shoes; to give a heavy sole for climbing, since the braces are narrow and cut into ordinary sport foot wear.

-Stuart
K5KVH