Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:14:33 +0200
Hi Gary,

I found time to come back in and continue addressing more of the points.

Nothing is wrong with the resonant antenna.  It is what I have used quite a lot
over the years.
We are on the same page here. However it is wrong to believe that only resonant
antennas can be efficient.  Maxwell clearly points that out, as does Cevik.

I was only saying that people often are forced to use non-resonant antennas due
to space limitations and that the JVM (in standard format) is not the best
matchbox for that.

I was in full concert with you on all points, except ... and maybe it wasn’t
even you who said it . . . it was claimed several times that the JVM was the
greatest matchbox ever.  It was great in its days, but had weaknesses later as
we got more bands and people began to match funny things with them.  At least
one company (Annecke) improved on the design and sold them.  It was
distinctively better.

But wait, W6SAI published an article showing how to do that, something like 50
years ago.  That's where I "borrowed" the idea, then applied it to the JVM and
improved it and published instructions on how to d-i-y.

I went to great length to explain and show people how to remedy this and many
people have applied my mod to their JVM.  I continue to get thank you emails
for the work from people who have successfully done the mod.

I am a firm believer in link coupler matchboxes and have a couple of pages on
my web showing people how to build their own simple, dirt cheap link coupled
matchbox.  But I have altogether 4 different circuits for 4 different
applications.
Each fits a different set of circumstances where it works, but it fails
everywhere else.  It is difficult to put them all in one box and the high power
switch would cost a small fortune.  So I make different proposals for people
confronted with different tough environmental situations . . .  such as how to
get a relatively efficient power transfer into a short 20m (66 ft.) long (or
even shorter) dipole on 160m.

I love quads and loops much more than dipoles.
I began feeding them with open wire back in the 1970s, using the Annecke
Symmetrical Coupler, which was the matchbox that is an improvement over the
JVM.  Except mine was home-brew using spare parts I purchased directly from
Annecke.

HOWEVER THE FACT REMAINS:  THERE AREN'T ENOUGH JVM's to go around if everyone
wants one.
Even if you are lucky enough to find one, you often find them "melted" on the
inside.
Therefore some kind of alternative is required.

A much less quality but very practical solution is to use a good 1:1 Guanella
balun between a simple L-Network and the openwire.  That's "1:1, not "4:1".
I often use the Model 238 like this.
Especially with low power (100w or less), this can be a good substitute.

In my 45 years of living on this side of the pond, I have never once seen a JVM
for sale on the used market.  The ANNECKE I speak of was great, but Alfred
Annecke built and sold exactly 20 units.  I built my own.  So there are perhaps
21 units floating around somewhere in the world. Won't find one of those
either.  So most people must seek or build something else.

Now to your two cats and the JVM.
I built something similar using two galvanized trash cans.
You can find a picture here:
http://www.dj0ip.de/antennas/
Pictured is one version which I fed with a short coax.

I'll put that up against your Siamese cats any day! (hi)

Cheers Gary!

73
Rick, DJ0IP