Re: [TenTec] Orion logic issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion logic issue
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:09:58 -0500
I did reinstall the firmware. I even backloaded to an older version of the
firmware, just to determine if this made a difference.

No joy…

It amazes me just how repeatable the failure is, especially the part about the
lack of encoder function that is immediately restored when I operate the radio
for just a few actions using N4PY software. I think all I need to do is
connect, because that action causes the Orion to go to the frequency stored on
the C screen. From that point on, everything works.

It’s like the N4PY "wakes up" the CPU so it can respond to the encoders and
pushbuttons.

The schematic is not terribly helpful in revealing how the keystroke and
encoder signals get into the CPU, nor is it clear how the serial data from the
PC gets there either.

Just conjecture at this point, but it seems like some sort of startup timer is
missing its position in the roll call during the boot sequence and the serial
data from the PC substitutes for that by setting some flag.

It would be sort of like my having incorrectly entered bootstrap loader startup
information in my old Heath H8 computer, data that tells the 8080 chip that a
keyboard was connected.

Of course, the H8 had no error trapping and would have just crashed whereas
this more sophisticated CPU seems to be able to go on functioning with some
startup data missing.

Has anyone made a printed listing of the startup sequence of the Orion? Is
there any “open source” listing of the operating firmware?

Gary

W0DVN