[TenTec] DDS PTO replacement for old Ten Tec rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DDS PTO replacement for old Ten Tec rigs
From: Curt Benjamin via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 18:48:20 +0000 (UTC)
Well, I started working on the circuit using a 9.6 MHz crystal (I have a bag of
them) for the VXO, hoping that that will be a good frequency to mix in order to
get 5 to 5.5 MHz. Using a 10uH inductor and a ~30pF varactor, I've got it
tuning +/- 2.5 KHz from 0 to 12V (I can tweak this later). The next step, I'll
get the DDS to output 4.0875 to 4.5975, amplify and pad it to +7dBm and run
both sigs into a DBM (I have a number of SBL-1's I can use).

I'm not really sure how to properly terminate the DBM except maybe terminate it
around 200 Ohms (I've seen that elsewhere) with a pad, filter it through a 5.25
MHz fc BPF, amplify and pad it to the level required by the radio.

Regarding the Arduino and using one of the analog inputs for RIT, I don't know
how to write it into the code in order to experiment but I was told it would be
something like this:

void loop()
{
  int RIT = map(analogRead(A0), 0, 1023, -1000, 1000);

Supposedly, you use the "map" function to take 0-5V on the analog input (A0 in
this case) and "map" it to a value from 0 to 1023 and that value can be used to
shift the frequency control word going to the DDS module. I haven't the
foggiest as to how to write that in, thus the other (possibly cobbled up) way
I'm working on doing it.

Curt, K8AI