Re: [TenTec] New Computer

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Computer
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:54:03 -0500
I use a Lenovo Thinkpad 410 as my shack computer.  I maxed out the RAM to 8 gb.  I bought it from their off lease/refurb website.  I am now experimenting with using it with some digital modes on VHF, and it works fine for computer logging.  I run it under Windows 7 64 bit.

When I emptied out my cousin's house after her demise, I found a 1999 vintage IBM Thinkpad in a case on the floor.  It had been dropped and kicked a bunch and I wound up reinforcing the display hinges with epoxy.  I plugged it in and fired it up and it worked.  It had a small hard drive in it, and was set up for her job at the railroad and was running under WIndows ME.  I had an older and larger IDE laptop drive, so I formatted it, and installed Windows 2000 pro.  Then, I maxed out the RAM to 256 megabytes.  It runs a Pentium 233 MHz processor.  It still works fine for word processing and some spreadsheets, so I will keep it.  It now runs under XP.  It is a real testament to the durability of the Thinkpads.

Steve WA9JML