Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax
From: Joe Reisert <W1JR@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:39:53 -0400
Hi Jeff,

Same problem here except it's mostly chipmunks and they can only eat completely the small diameter coax. They even ate though my RG141 teflon coax!

What I did is to put EMT (from the hardware store which comes in 10 foot lengths and inexpensive) over the areas where they were most active. No more problems in those areas.

It's probably salt from your hands on the coax. Try rubbing down the coax with acetone and see what happens. Hopefully acetone wont dissolve the coax hi.

73,

Joe, W1JR