Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:35:23 -0500
> Yes, that is correct, Barry. The rig I was referring to is the original
> FT-1000. The noise sidebands I measured were pretty consistent
> with the TX composite noise measured in the ARRL test report,
> so its not clear that this particular FT-1000 has any special problem
> over and above the norm for this rig. In any case, these numbers struck
> me as being kind of high, but on the other hand, nobody has
> complained about my signal being dirty (at least not yet).

I don't think they will. Anything more than about 80-90dB down is virtually
never a problem.

My own FT1000 only raises my own very quiet noise floor by about 25dB with
1/2 mile antenna separation, and I am pretty loud at my own house.

By the way, the bulk of FT1000 transmitter composite noise comes from the
dual-gate FET used in the transmitter's ALC gain control system. You have to
learn these things while trying to duplex on 160 in contests.

73 Tom