Topband: Conditions this weekend

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Conditions this weekend
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:34:53 -0600

Hi, fellow Topbanders,

I?d like to hear some other opinions of 160M band conditions during the CQ WW CW contest. I was not impressed here.

I had high hopes of snagging several new top band countries, but only managed one (on Friday night). Saturday night was even worse. It was terribly frustrating (i.e. hair pulling, teeth gnashing, etc.) listening to W1?s working stations in Europe that I could not even detect. Of course, W1 to Europe is like W5 to the Caribbean. And, it was even more frustrating to see all the juicy DX spots posted by the guys in Europe of prefixes I had no hope of even hearing, let alone working!

I think others shared some of my frustrations, also. Time after time I heard big-name and big-signal, well-known US contesters and DXers struggling for QSO?s with garden variety Europeans (and a couple of EA8?s).

Or was all this just my imagination?

Eight years ago I endured a change of QTH. It was only across town, but the effects on my DXing were profound. The higher band antennas were quickly up and running fine, but I never did get the low band station back together in an effective way. Too, the hiatus gave me a convenient excuse to pursue my other big hobby ? collecting antique glass telegraph insulators. My 160M country total suffered.

However, in time, like all true-blue, right-minded DXers, I eventually gravitated back to Top Band! Now I?m ready to make trouble. The TX antenna is back up and working great, and after some negotiations with the neighbors, I have beverages (some temporary, seasonal) in place that cover four directions. I also have a new intermittent noise source and a much higher level of ambient noise over the old QTH. Odd how much difference half a mile in the wrong direction can make.

So, what irony! I spent all this time and effort (six month?s worth) getting things back in order just in time for the band to crap out on me. I didn?t have the RX antennas up until mid-November, so I missed the spectacular conditions of October. I could only drool as I read the posts you guys made to the reflector.

So, any other thoughts and opinions about this past contest weekend on 160?

My two cent?s worth?

73,
Charles Bibb
K5ZK